Friday, May 21, 2010

Post Apocalyptic Fashion: A homage


For the past year I have had the pleasure of teaching a few photography classes at "The Art Institute of Las Vegas". This quarter I am teaching the location class, which has been a lot of fun. Every other week, the class meets at a different location for a photo shoot. Last night our little group met out on the dry lake bed on the way to Laughlin, Nevada. The assignment was fashion.
Usually I will plan to do a demo shoot for the students, just to give an idea on lighting and equipment, props, etc. My Idea: Tank Girl© Fashion. (I don't know, it just seemed to make sense with the way I've been feeling about all the stuff happening to our poor Earth lately, being Tank Girl is an post-apocalyptic character......)
As most of you know I am a huge fan of comics, and I just love the Tank Girl© Character created by Jamie Hewlett & Alan Martin. The story of Tank Girl© takes place in a bleak futuristic Australia (click here for a link to more info). So with that in mind, what better jumping off point for a fashion shoot out in a stark, desolate place in the middle of nowhere. Right?
I know that this has been done before , most notably in Vogue magazine, but for me not being a fashion shooter, It seemed like it would be a cool challenge.
Anyway, I managed to talk my friend and model Ashley Angelo into posing for me, Lynn Vacek, one of my best friends, agreed to come out and do the make-up, and my good pals Todd miller and Richard Reffner donated their time as assistants. The big guns were provided my buddy Robert Bowman, and his brother in law John Stoner .
Of course it was crazy windy, but we went for it undeterred. (We will be blowing dirt out of our equipment for the next year!) The shoot lasted for about an hour, until a bit after sunset.
I'm pretty happy with the results, let me know what you think.
Greg Preston


12 comments:

  1. Hi Greg - love the pictures! Thank you for sharing...S. Hirsch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I coulda shot that. I bet you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Greg, Fabulous, love the blog/story to go with the shoot. Of course, you couldn't go wrong with this model! Theresa (Lynn's sister and Ashley's aunt) from Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job greg, your class sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING APOCALYPTIC FASHION SHOOT, WE'D LOVE TO FEATURE THIS COLLECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS IN OUR YEAR END ISSUE OF COCK NO.7
    ARTLIFECULTURE MAGAZINE.
    IF INTERESTED REPLY AT cockno.7@gmail.com
    THANX COCK NO.7

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blog post!! Very informative and also easy to understand. Looking for more such comments!! Do you have a facebook? I recommended it on digg. The only thing that it’s missing is a bit of new design. Gipsy Dharma

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the 3rd photo, is that a mushroom cloud reflection on the helmet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a blog post!! Very informative and also easy to understand. Looking for more such comments!! Do you have a facebook? I recommended it on digg. The only thing that it’s missing is a bit of new design. boots for women

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. its really fantastic blog . its realy informational and a such a good job. i love this Gipsy Dharma

    ReplyDelete